Sexual transmitted infections Facts from the WHO
- More than 1 million sexual transmitted infections (STIs) are acquired every day worldwide.
- Annually there are 357 million new cases of the top 4 curable STI’s. Chlamydia (131 million), Gonorrhoea (78 million), Syphilis (5.6 million) and Trichomoniasis (143 million)
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae is one of the three STI’s by the WHO for strategic global focus. This because of rising antibacterial resistant and co-infection with Chlamydia trachomatis
- STIs such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia are major causes of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and infertility in women.
- More than 290 million women have a human papillomavirus (HPV) infection
- HPV infection causes 528 000 cases of cervical cancer and 266 000 cervical cancer deaths each year.
Chlamydia trachomatis & Neisseria gonorrhoeae
The new (May 2017) Presto 500 combined qualitative real time CT/NG PCR assay of Goffin Molecular Technologies is the fastest most innovative scientific and technically most reliable and robust detection method for sexually transmitted diseases in all human clinical sample materials.
Our IVD-CE certified multiplex rapid combined real-time PCR assay detects all Chlamydia trachomatis serovars and Neisseria gonorrhoeae within 60 minutes and is up to almost 10 times higher sensitive compared to existing methods.
–> Read more
The latest edition to the presto tests is the presto TV PCR assay of Goffin Molecular Technologies. TV is mainly found in women, so inclusion in a general CT/NG assay is unnecessary and costprice ineffective. TV is the responsible pathogen in 5 – 10% of vaginitis cases. In a case of vaginitis where CT/NG are found negative, it is recommended to run a test for TV. This makes the Presto TV PCR ideal as addition to the Presto 100 and Presto 500.
–> Read more
An addition to the CT/NG PCR assay is the combined qualitative real time STI CTNGMG RT-PCR assay. A fast, technically reliable and robust detection method for sexually transmitted diseases in cervical and vaginal swabs, urethral swabs, anal swabs, eye swabs, urine, seminal fluid, urethral biopsy tissue, prostate secretions, vaginal secretions, rectal secretions, urethral secretions, cervical secretions, cell culture, ocular lymphoma and PBMC.
The IVD-CE certified multiplex rapid combined CTNGMG RT-PCR assay detects MOMP gene and cryptic plasmid for Chlamydia trachomatis serovars, porA pseudo gene and multicopy opa gene for Neisseria gonorrhoeae and MgPa genefor Mycoplasma genitalium.
–> Read more
The HPV Test Risk assay is an in vitro real-time PCR-based assay for the qualitative detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA for the following 15 (probably) high-risk HPV genotypes, i.e., 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 66, 67, and 68. HPVs are small, double-stranded DNA viruses and their circular genome consists of approximately 7,900 base pairs. More than 100 types of HPV have been identified, of which certain HPV types, known as high-risk HPV (hrHPV) like HPV16 and -18, are associated with the induction of mucosal lesions that can progress to malignancy. Cervical cancer and its precursor lesions (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, CIN) are the most well known complication of a persistent infection with such a virus.